Thursday, August 28, 2008

If People Were Meant to Pop Out of Bed, We'd All Sleep in Toasters.


Since coming back three weeks ago from our honeymoon, I've turned into this pseudo-Emily I barely recognize.

I wake up early, I make the bed, I clean, I pack a lunch, I put on make-up at home (not in traffic!), I get work done early, I clean my car when I'm stuck in traffic on the ride home, I stick to a diet (for more than three days, even!), I come home and keep cleaning, I curse my husband for thinking the kitchen cleans itself at night, then I secretly thank him for giving me the mess so I can feel productive and keep this streak up.

There are these affirmations constantly playing in my head, since I got back:

"Emily P. wakes up late, splashes water on her face, brushes her teeth and doesn't care what she's wear as she runs out the door; Emily A. sets her alarm a half an hour earlier and only allows herself to hit the snooze button once."

"Emily P. only wears her hair down when she has the motivation to style it; Emily A.'s hair is styled everyday." -- Granted, this affirmation is unfair since I cut my hair on my honeymoon after letting it grow as long as I've ever had it just so I had more versatility for the wedding hairstyle.

"Emily P. says she'll do things, but procrastinates instead; Emily A. doesn't let herself procrastinate for too long."

"Emily P. lets things that aren't hers sit out, silently cursing whoever the items belong to; Emily A. moves things on her own, knowing that if they don't belong to her, they are probably her husband's. He still has to put them away, but at least they're moved out of Emily's way."

"Emily P. decides on a diet, becomes excited for it, goes full force into it, then fails; Emily A. has been on the same diet for two weeks now, not minding the stagnant days of weight loss here and there, knowing she can make mistakes, is going to be patient with the scale."

"Emily P. spends cash on lunch at work, eating cafeteria food filled with God-Knows-What; Emily A. packs her very diet friendly lunch every day, saving at least $25 a week on food."

"Emily P. needs to finish a bottle of wine before feeling accomplished; Emily A. feels accomplished when she notices a buzz from just one tall glass of wine, and can stop drinking for the rest of the night." -- Getting a wine stopper to keep wine fresh was also a factor in this.

"Emily P. figured she was an adult already; Emily A. knew she was wrong."

Links to inspire (Please don't be put off by the eye-rolling tendencies you may have when reading some of these; trust me, I did the same thing):

Rising early

Achieving A Goal

Positive Thinking

No comments: