Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Starting a Blog

10 Reasons I Didn't Want To Start A Blog
  • I would get tired of it and never write in it. (Eg: My LiveJournal; the so-called Blogs on MySpace; the countless books I have started and never finished on numerous computers, hard disks and flash drives.)
  • I would go the opposite of No. 1 and go nuts writing in it, not caring about content as much as I would care about post count.
  • My husband would watch me as I was writing in it, which wouldn't be a bad thing but he would start peeking over my shoulder whenever I was on my computer, trying to be the "first" to catch a glimpse of what was in store.
  • I would hear the phrase I hated when people would read anything I published: "So, I was reading your blog/column/post-it..." and they'd want to follow up or ask more questions. Soon, there will be comment etiquette available for the public to read...then promptly ignore.
  • Would my random thoughts I find amusing strike others the same way?
  • The fear of losing anonymity (not with friends or family, but people I don't want to know I have a blog).
  • Having people who know what a stickler I am for grammar, spelling and fact checking point out my mistakes in the comments.
  • Spending too much time on the blog instead of doing the other productive things I should be doing.
  • Feeling let down when no one's reading it.
  • Feeling too exposed when people are reading it.

Top 10 Reasons I Wanted to Start A Blog

  • I miss writing. I loved having a column and getting comments from readers; maybe pretending too much I was a celebrity; knowing I could write circles around Carrie Bradshaw, understanding that five years' worth of columns doesn't even come close to the amount of money used to purchase ONE Manolo Blahnik, but just loving to write.
  • The [sad] satisfaction I get out of being my own editor and fact checker. (It's astounding how the joy of checking the correct spelling of Manolo Blahnik and putting away the worry of looking stupid makes me feel.
  • I send out tons of e-mails every week with links, videos, pictures and jokes to my friends, never bothering to keep any of them in my Frequent Contacts list, so when someone gets left off an e-mail, I hear about it later. It's easier to have one space I can put up whatever I'm currently enjoying.
  • The thought that comes into my mind when reading other blogs: "I could write something like this."
  • The dull lapses at work when I've looked at all my usual Web sites and can't think of a single thing to do, so I compose a long e-mail to one of my friends...ranting about nothing in particular, just so I can make sure I still type 80 WPM.
  • Yes, 80 WPM.
  • Another reason to use my digital camera more often.
  • If you've ever been the "funny one" in a group of friends, you know the thin line between being the center of attention and being made to perform. Blogging can help me have some control over when I "perform".
  • "Studies show..." this; "Reports are saying..." that. Blogging's good for you. Google it.
  • I already worked so hard on the name and the graphic, I might as well use the blog.

No comments: