Sunday, November 23, 2008

Free? I Love Free!


After my husband and I paid our mortgage for the month and I paid for my car to be fixed (hmph!), we realized that for the next two weeks, we are broke. Oh, so broke. So anything we can get for free, we will.

Thank goodness for Gun N' Roses (stupid band, doesn't know how to use an apostrophe correctly). Dr Pepper (another punctuationally-inept company) promised everyone in the United States a free can of the carbonated deliciousness, but only if you register today.


Of course, everyone wants a free Dr Pepper, hense the site is extremely slow to load today. I'm still waiting for the coupon page to load.

So, WHY is Dr Pepper giving away a free can? (And why are so many people excited about this when they can go to Wal-Mart and get a can of Dr. Thunder for 35 cents?)

Well, I don't really care about the reason, but it has something to do with the release of Guns N' Roses CD that's been 10 years in the making. And some corporate guy at Dr Pepper said something to the effect of "Well, if it's done in 2008, I'll be shocked. I'll give away a can of Dr Pepper to everyone in the United States." And Guns N' Roses must like it when they can stick it to the man...or something like that. I don't know how anti-establishment GNR are.

But, let's examine this apostophe catastrophe in Guns N' Roses name for a bit. Now, when you use an apostrophe in shortening a word, the apostrophe stands in place of letters missing. If Guns N' Roses wanted to really be short for Guns And Roses, the apostrophes would be on EITHER SIDE of the "N".

e.g. Guns 'N' Roses. (which, if we were looking at capitalization, would stand for Guns aNd Roses, I guess)
If the apostrophe we before the "N", the band name would mean Guns iN Roses. Hhhmmm. Glad they didn't go for that, I guess.

However, GNR used just one apostrophe after the "N", but clearly they're trying to make the bands name sound like they're saying "and" with the N'. But, if we bent the grammar rules a bit, the apostrophe could stand for anything. However, there are very few two-letter words that begin with N. I can only think of "No".

So, with that theory, GNR would stand for Guns No Roses. HOWEVER, if that were the case, Guns N' Roses forgot one more peice of important punctuality: a comma! Technically, it should be Guns, No Roses.

So, there you go!

Sorry, it really sucks knowing these rules sometimes. It's like, why did these rules have to stick in my brain, but no one else's? And I understand creative freedom to name a band whatever one wants...but, come on! It's wrong!

And now I'll get off my soapbox and leave ranting about the desecration of the English language for some other post.

...free Dr Pepper! Still waiting for the page to load...

No comments: