Saturday, November 8, 2008

Let's NOT Do The Time Warp Again


Oh, look what MTV's got their filthy little mitts on now.




I will not sign a petition, however. If they pick someone good for Frank N. Furter, I'll put it on my DVR. Someone like Perez Hilton or Patricia Arquette or...Miley Cyrus!


Quick opinion on the status of MTV: It's turned into the grandmother of television. When my generation first got a glimpse of the neon logo flashing in seizure-like fashion, we embraced it for its edge. We watched college kids on their spring break, half of them hot little numbers showing off their bodies, the other half sporting flannel shirts and Birkenstocks to the beach. We watched seven strangers who, holy crap, were actually very different and could get along, for the most part. We watched HOURS of music videos. We had special relationships with our VJs (I still love you, Kennedy!). We were taught and disciplined in the way of a revival of rock. (Yes, I consider the '90s a revival of sorts.) And, every once in a while, we would catch episodes of "Beavis Butt-Head" and, during the beginning of the end, the quick, but powerful, rise and fall of "Daria". And I know I'm not the only one who played along to "Singled Out"...but that was only to kill that half-an-hour before more music videos would introduce me to Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, Aerosmith, Blind Mellon and whatever else I have stored on my iPod and consider "nostalgia".


By the time "seven strangers" turned into "seven of the same people who like to fight", and only five videos were shown each day (TRL), and Carson Daly became a household name, I had already started watching VH1 on a regular basis. Hell, I still try and find new Pop-Up Videos on YouTube now and then. "Behind the Music" had me captivated. And once all the "I Love The..." shows came out, MTV could have fallen off the face of the earth, and I wouldn't have noticed. I call MTV the grandmother of television because I think when kids watch that crap, it's like going to grandma's house, and her letting you stuff your face with whatever shit you decide you want to eat. And grandma knows you'll have a stomach ache later, but by that time, you'll already be home with your parents and they'll have to deal with the whining and moaning. It's sweet revenge.


Yeah, so that was my rant. Oh! And don't tell me "Well, there's MTV Classic" or something like that. NO! When I turn on MTV, I want MY MTV.

No comments: